The 2015 USRowing Fan’s Choice Awards, recognizing excellence in rowing across seven categories, will be awarded at the Golden Oars Awards Dinner
on Thursday, November 19, 2015, at the New York Athletic Club in New York City.
This is the fifth anniversary of USRowing’s Fan’s Choice Awards, which are an important element of USRowing’s long-standing tradition of bestowing awards for superior performances and contributions to the success of our sport.
Fan’s Choice Awards are nominated by and voted on by the rowing community for outstanding performances in 2015. Everyone is invited to participate by nominating outstanding athletes and coaches from this year.
USRowing Fan’s Choice Awards will be given to an “Athlete of the Year” (including rowers and coxswains) in the junior, collegiate, masters and national team categories and a “Coach of the Year” in the junior, collegiate and masters category.
Golden Oars - Event Tickets & Sponsor Opportunities
Categories and Nomination Criteria USRowing Fan’s Choice Athlete of the Year Criteria for Selection:
September 1 - 22: Nominations accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September 28: Finalists announced & online voting begins.
- October 19: Online voting ends.
- October 22: Winners announced.
- November 19: Awards presented at Golden Oars.
A male or female rower or coxswain who has achieved extraordinary success in 2015. Success may be defined as an outstanding performance, having a breakout year, perseverance in spite of difficult odds, consistent strong performance, outstanding service off the water, a combination of the above or other worthy measures.
USRowing Fan’s Choice Coach of the Year Coach of the Year
- Junior Athlete of the Year: Defined as a junior/scholastic athlete in the 2015 spring season.
- Collegiate Athlete of the Year: Defined as a collegiate athlete in the 2015 spring season.
- Masters Athlete of the Year: Defined as a masters athlete in the spring/summer 2015.
- National Team Athlete of the Year: Defined as a member of a USRowing Senior National Team in the spring/summer 2015.
: A rowing coach who has achieved extraordinary success in 2015. Success may be defined as outstanding performance, having a breakout year, making a significant impact on an individual athlete or team performance, perseverance in spite of difficult odds, consistent strong performance, or a combination of the above or other worthy measures.
- Junior Coach of the Year: Defined as a coach of a junior/scholastic rowing team in the 2015 spring season.
- Collegiate Coach of the Year: Defined as a coach of a collegiate rowing team in the 2015 spring season.
- Masters Coach of the Year: Defined as a coach of a masters rowing team in the 2015 spring season.
All nominations must follow these guidelines to be accepted:
Voting and Selection
- Nominations are due by midnight E.T. Tuesday, September 22, 2015 for consideration by the USRowing Fan’s Choice Awards Selection Committee.
- When submitting the nomination, include the category and nominee in the subject line
- All nominations must be completed fully and on time to be considered.
- All nominees must be current registered members of USRowing.
- USRowing employees are not eligible.
- Nominations will not be considered for previous winners, unless nominated in another category (Previous Winners).
- All nominations must be sent to email@example.com.
- All nominations must be submitted using the Athletes or Coaches Form
- All decisions by the selection committee are final.
- Note these awards are designed for performance in 2015 only, criteria submitted from previous years will not be considered.
The USRowing Fan’s Choice Awards Selection Committee will review all nominations and post the finalists for each award by September 28, 2015. Voting will take place at online and winners will be chosen by a combination of fan voting and selection committee input. One vote per person in each category is allowed. Voting will close October 19, 2015 and winners will be announced no later than October 22.
All winners will be recognized at the Golden Oars Awards Dinner on November 19, 2015 at the New York Athletic Club in New York City.
USRowing provides two Golden Oars tickets to the dinner for each award winner. Additional tickets may be purchased. Travel costs are not included. Attendance is encouraged, but not mandatory to win the award. Tickets are not transferable. Golden Oars Awards
Co-hosted by USRowing and the National Rowing Foundation, the Golden Oars Awards Dinner
is in its fifth year of recognizing excellence in rowing. Golden Oars is the one time each year when the rowing community gathers to honor its own. In addition to presenting the USRowing Fan’s Choice Awards, seven major awards will be given : Medal of Honor, Male and Female Athlete of the Year, Jack Kelly Award, Jack Franklin Award, Anita DeFrantz Award and Isabel Bohn Award.
Proceeds from the dinner support USRowing’s national teams and America Rows, an organization changing the lives of urban youth and those with disabilities by providing rowing as an opportunity for all.
Information on the dinner, purchasing tickets and sponsorship opportunities may be found at http://www.501auctions.com/GoldenOars2015 We encourage everyone to think back over the year and nominate the rowers/coxswains and coaches who you feel made a difference in the rowing community and to our sport. We look forward to honoring them at the Golden Oars Awards in November.
Any questions should be addressed to Beth Kohl. For media accreditation, please contact Allison Frederick.
Click here for a list of past Fan's Choice Award Winners.